1 hr 2 mins
Chef #533144's Note:
Originally inspired by Alton Brown's popular recipe, I came up with this impossibly good deviation that might just change the way you think about oatmeal. Featuring browned butter and toasted oats/cinnamon for subtlety, oat milk for extra oatiness, wheat germ for health benefits, and eggs for richness, this recipe makes every bowl a treat. Occasionally I'll add milled flax seed with the wheat germ towards the end.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat butter in pot or pan. Continue cooking, while stirring frequently, on medium until it's a hazelnut color, but do not burn it.
- 2Add all the oats to the browned butter, leaving it on medium heat.
- 3Add cinnamon sticks to this.
- 4Stir oats/cinnamon sticks frequently until the oats darken. It should be smelling pretty good.
- 5Add all the oat milk.
- 6Bring the mix to a boil while stirring.
- 7Once it boils, reduce heat to low and let simmer for maybe 25-30 minutes covered. You can stir occasionally, and if it sticks to the bottom, don't worry, it's still good.
- 8Remove the lid and add brown sugar. Keep simmering uncovered for another 10 or 15 minutes, until the oats are thicker and soft. You do still want to have a bit of fluid at this point, though, so the next step doesn't make it too dry.
- 9Add wheat germ. This gives it a bit of flavor and texture, as well as some health benefits. The wheat germ should take up some of the fluid and make it somewhat thick now.
- 10Let cool for a few minutes until it's warm, not hot. Add eggs and vanilla and stir. At this point, it should have a traditional porridge consistency, as the eggs add wetness.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Butter and Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oats Oatmeal
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.2
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 161.3 mg
- Sodium 59.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 23.9 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: