Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is my mother-in-laws famous brown bread recipe. We find these rolls at every family gathering! I reach for this recipe over and over again when we are craving bread for it has so few ingredients and so easy to make. My kids make a meal out of it in the mornings especially when they get to slather their own homemade strawberry jam over the top! Makes 3 loaves or 48 rolls
- 3 3⁄4 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup melted Crisco
- 1 fresh yeast cakes or 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 -10 cups flour
- Mix the yeast, sugar, and 1/4 cup of warm water.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- (Yeast is good if it foams!) In large bowl combine water, salt, molasses, and Crisco.
- Stir until salt dissolves.
- Add the yeast mixture and stir well.
- Sift in 6 cups of flour and stir until mixed well.
- Keep adding flour until mixture becomes too hard to stir.
- Flop the dough onto a well floured surface and knead 6-8 minutes.
- Place dough in large greased bowl, cover, set in warm place and let raise until double in size.
- Punch dough down and with greased hands form into 3 loaves and place in greased loaf pans or form into approx.
- 48 rolls and place in greased pans.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Let formed dough rise.
- Cook in preheated oven at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Let bread/rolls sit in pans for 5-10 minutes then finish cooling on wire racks.
- Brush butter over the tops and ENJOY!
I halved the recipe and used my bread machime for the dough, excellent soft and fluffy, tastes is great also, I got I loaf and 9 rolls. Thanks for a great easy recipe!!!!!
These are the best dark rolls I have ever had! Such a simple recipe and such great flavor. Thanks for posting, SA jr! =)