Recipe by coolaboola
This is a very easy, very tasty and very nutritious brown bread recipe. It tolerates tweaking too, so have fun with it. This recipe makes two loaves. I generally eat one fresh and freeze the second loaf.
- 350 g coarse wholemeal flour
- 150 g oats
- 150 g pinhead oats
- 50 g sugar
- 5 g salt
- 150 g plain flour
- 15 g bread, soda
- 2 eggs
- 900 ml buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celcius.
- Grease 2 3"x8" loaf tins.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Sieve in the plain flour and the bread soda.
- In a large measuring jug beat the egg and mix with the buttermilk.
- Stir the egg/buttermilk mix into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Split mix evenly between the two greased loaf tins.
- Place the loaf tins onto a baking tray and bake for 60 mins.
- Allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove the loaves from their tins, place on the baking tray and bake for a final 10 minutes.
- Cool before slicing.