1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a very easy, very tasty and very nutritious brown bread recipe. It tolerates tweaking too, so have fun with it. This recipe makes two loaves. I generally eat one fresh and freeze the second loaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celcius.
- 2Grease 2 3"x8" loaf tins.
- 3Mix the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 4Sieve in the plain flour and the bread soda.
- 5In a large measuring jug beat the egg and mix with the buttermilk.
- 6Stir the egg/buttermilk mix into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- 7Split mix evenly between the two greased loaf tins.
- 8Place the loaf tins onto a baking tray and bake for 60 mins.
- 9Allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes.
- 10Remove the loaves from their tins, place on the baking tray and bake for a final 10 minutes.
- 11Cool before slicing.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1926 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1938.4
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 229.8 mg
- Sodium 1587.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 356.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.3 g
- Sugars 48.4 g
- Protein 75.2 g