Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Julia Child's recipe for brown braised onions for use in Beef Bourguignon, Coq Au Vin or mixed with other veggies as a side dish. These onions are soooo sweet and flavorful.
- 18-24 peeled pearl onions
- 22.18 ml butter
- 22.18 ml oil
- 118.29 ml beef stock (or bouillon, red wine or water)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.23 ml thyme
- When the butter and oil are bubbling in the skillet, add the onions andd saute over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, rolling the onions about so they will brown evenly. Be careful not to break the skins.
- Pour in the liquid and season to taste. Wrap the herbs in cheesecloth and add the herb bouquet.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 40 to 50 minutes until the liquid has evaporated. Remove herb bouquet and serve them as they are or in another recipe.