Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My favourite stew, from 'The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.' Nothing better on a cold winter's night, accompanied by "schnetki" (baking powder biscuits).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, chunks
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- paprika, sprinkle
- 3 tablespoons oil (or shortening)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and paprika; roll meat in seasoned flour.
- Brown in hot oil in Dutch oven or large skillet. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, beef stock, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer, covered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is almost tender.
- Add potatoes, simmer 15 minutes. Then add onions and carrots; simmer another 15 minutes.
- Add celery and peas and simmer 5 minutes more, or until all vegetables are tender.