Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice salad with an oriental flavour based on my black rice salad recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/black-rice-salad-418440
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked brown basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 stalks celery (medium size, finely chopped)
- 100 g dried cranberries (the sweetend kind)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (dry roasted for a few minutes and coarsly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 -2 teaspoon liquid honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Rinse the brown basmati rice with cold water in a sieve.
- Put the drained basmati rice in a saucepan, poor plenty of boiling water over the rice, add the salt and cook the rice according to the package directions so they still have "a bit of a bite".
- Rinse the cooked rice with cold water in a sieve, drain it thoroughly then pour into a bowl.
- Add the chopped walnuts, cranberries and celery.
- Mix the ingredients for the vinaigrette and poor over the rice salad.