Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. This is posted in response to a request for a apple pie recipe. Makes a 9-inch pie.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 59.16-73.94 ml ice water
- 680.38 g tart apples, peeled, sliced (8 cups)
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 1 large brown paper bag
- vanilla ice cream (optional) or whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water with a fork, a little at a time, to form a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 11 or 12 -inch diameter. Fit into 9-inch pie plate. Flute edges.
- In large bowl, toss sliced apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Arrange apples in pie pastry.
- For topping, in bowl combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter. Sprinkle topping over apple filling.
- Place pie in a large paper bag on a baking sheet. Loosely fold open end under.
- Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Carefully remove pie from bag to avoid steam.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.