Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
trying to use brown rice more and had some leftover bbq chicken from when i made 2 Beer Butt Chicken / Beer Can...this is what i came up with. modelled after my original arroz con pollo recipe except much easier! you dont have to use the exact same chicken parts that i used, just enough for 6 people...a store bought rotisserie chicken would work great! i have found that this is the best way to cook brown rice so its not mushy like oatmeal..thanks again PanNan!!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 10 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked
- 2 chicken thighs, cooked
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with peppers
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can peas
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- bring 8 cups of water seasoned with boullion to a boil then add rice.
- let boil for 30 minutes, drain and return to pot. cover and let steam for 15 minutes.
- in the meantime chop veggies and pull chicken apart in chunks.
- once the rice is in the steaming phase heat the beans and peas on low in separate pots til warm.
- while thats going heat oil in large skillet with high walls or dutch oven & saute onions, peppers & garlic til soft.
- add the chicken, chicken broth, canned tomatoes and all seasonings except cilantro and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is heated through.
- drain peas and beans and add to the pot.
- stir in steamed rice when done, sprinkle with cilantro & let simmer until excess water is boiled off (if necessary).