Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Healthier version of the Latin dish.
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium onion (quartered)
- 2 green peppers (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 9.85 ml coriander
- 473.18 ml chicken stock
- 396.89 g cancrushed and drained canned tomatoes
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 177.44 ml long grain brown rice
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 236.59 ml green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 4.92 ml sazon goya or 4.92 ml any other seasoning salt
- Saute chicken strips in nonstick skillet until white, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- In large skillet, bring all other ingredients, except peas, to a boil. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes, until rice has absorbed liquid. Add peas and chicken, remove from heat and let steam.
- Makes 6 servings.
If you like your mexican food mild, you will love this dish. Its a great way to get brown rice (rather than white) into your diet without feeling like you are using a substitute. I needed to cook longer than the 45 minutes listed, as my rice was still a bit crunchy. I substituted red pepper for green, but otherwise made as listed. Next time I would increase the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne, as I like my mexican food a tad spicier. Made for PAC Fall '08.
Very, very good and flavorful. I boiled and shredded the chicken, instead of frying it. I added a bit more chicken stock so it was very moist, and used white rice. Then I wrapped it up in soft, warm tortillas and fed it to my picky kids - everyone loved it! Thanks for a keeper!
Loved this!!! This is comfort food in my book! Rated as I made it. My method for making this dish was different then directed. I first sauteed in 1 tablespoon olive oil the onions "which I diced not quartered", peppers "yellow and red", jalapeno, garlic for 5 minutes then added the aromatic spices and rice tossed to coat. Then added the tomatoes"used leftover tomato meat sauce" and hot broth bringing to a boil, reduced to a simmer for 40 minutes. Then added the raw chicken pieces and cooked 5 more minutes then added the peas for 5 minutes. It didn`t need the sazon goya. Walla a delicious dish!Thanks!