Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm learning how to cook macrobiotic food and this was the first recipe that I tried. It turned out so yummy! It's from "Cook Your Way to the Life You Want" by Christine Pirello.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed well
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, rinsed well
- 1 3⁄4 cups filtered water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1⁄2 unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely minced pecans, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely minced almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 fresh scallions, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
SWEET MUSTARD DRESSING
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi, vinegar (you can find this at any health food store)
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup (you can find this at any health food store)
- Make the salad: Place basmati rice, wild rice and water in a pressure cooker. Cover loosely and bring to a boil. Add salt, seal cover, and bring to high pressure. Reduce heat to low, place pot on a flame deflector, and cook for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and leave pot undsiturbed for another 25 minutes so rice can finish cooking in the steam (I just skipped all of this and used my rice steamer).
- Transfer rice to a serving bowl. Stir in dried fruit, nuts and vegetables until well combined. Set aside.
- Make the dressing: Combine soy sauce and oil in a saucepan. Warm over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl with remaining ingredients. Whisk until well combined.
- Fold dressing into rice salad and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop.