1 hr 15 mins
I'm learning how to cook macrobiotic food and this was the first recipe that I tried. It turned out so yummy! It's from "Cook Your Way to the Life You Want" by Christine Pirello.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed well
- 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed well
- 1 3/4 cups filtered water
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dried currant
- 1/2 unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup coarsely minced pecans, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup coarsely minced almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 fresh scallions, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
SWEET MUSTARD DRESSING
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi, vinegar (you can find this at any health food store)
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup (you can find this at any health food store)
- 1Make the salad: Place basmati rice, wild rice and water in a pressure cooker. Cover loosely and bring to a boil. Add salt, seal cover, and bring to high pressure. Reduce heat to low, place pot on a flame deflector, and cook for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and leave pot undsiturbed for another 25 minutes so rice can finish cooking in the steam (I just skipped all of this and used my rice steamer).
- 2Transfer rice to a serving bowl. Stir in dried fruit, nuts and vegetables until well combined. Set aside.
- 3Make the dressing: Combine soy sauce and oil in a saucepan. Warm over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- 4Transfer to a bowl with remaining ingredients. Whisk until well combined.
- 5Fold dressing into rice salad and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown and Wild Rice Salad - Macrobiotic
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.3
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 137.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsweetened dried cranberries
lemons, zest of
brown rice syrup