Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Convenient bread to have on hand. Cooking time includes rising time.
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 -5 cups unbleached white flour
- Scald milk; add shortening, sugar, and salt. Stir until shortening dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast; mix well.
- Add eggs and flour. Stir until flour is worked in and a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface; knead 10 minutes or until a smooth dough forms.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover bowl; let dough rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and shape into rolls. cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake rolls at 255 degrees until slightly brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet; seal in freezing bags. Freeze immediately.
- To serve, remove from freezer and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.