Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a hearty dirty rice... chicken livers,brown rice+ white rice + beans.
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked in stock
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice, cooked in tomato juice
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 lb chicken liver, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups red beans or 2 cups black beans, washed and drained (canned is fine)
- louisiana hot sauce, optional
- Cook rices and set aside.
- Saute chicken livers and chopped onions in butter until livers are cooked through and onions soft.
- Add green onions and spices, stir and cook 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add rices and warm though.
- taste for S& P.
- Add beans, stir, cover and heat through.
- Serve with Louisiana Hot Sauce on side.
Wonderful flavor. I used all brown rice, left out the chicken livers and substituted herbed olive oil for the butter because I'm trying to feed my family healthier, but the combo of spices and such was incredible. Definitely a new way for me to prepare brown rice.
I like the clever play on words with the name of the dish! I made this pretty much as listed here, but I used goose fat instead of butter, and added some diced red bell pepper for color. Also added some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. And I'm fresh out of Louisiana hot sauce, so I used Skyline Chili bottled sauce (very similar). This is a very tasty meal!!!
Since no one else who's reviewed this recipe had made as stated, I decided I would. (My only experience with chicken livers to date has been using them as bait while fishing.) Raw chicken liver really doesn't "chop" well, it's really mushy. However, I did manage to reduce the size of the livers to what was needed. Prepared exactly as stated, and the results were excellent! I've never made or had dirty rice before, but I liked this! Thanks Aroostook!