Recipe by Pangaea
This is a cross between a Beer Bread and Boston Brown Bread. I started with a Beer Bread recipe, substituted a Brown Ale, a mixture of different flours and a touch of molasses. The end result is a dense and subtly sweet bread with a Soda Bread-like texture. As an added bonus, it is also relatively healthy.
- 1 cup white flour, sifted
- 1 cup wheat flour, sifted
- 1 cup rye flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown ale (12 fl.oz. )
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Combine dry ingredients.
- 2. Add beer slowly, while mixing, until it forms a dough.
- 3. Add molasses to dough.
- 4. Pour dough into a bread pan.
- 5. Pour butter over top of dough.
- 6. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.
- 7. Let cool for 15 minutes before eating.
- Note: This is a dense dough, so be sure to sift the flour. Without sifting, it will be TOO dense.