Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is posted by request. Original recipe is from Rick Bayless.
Make and share this Brothy Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 12 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place dry beans in a fine colander and pick out any stones you see.
- Place in a large pot and add the water.
- Bring to a boil-boil for 4 minutes, cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Cover the beans with the remaining 6 cups water, add the lard and onion.
- Bring to a simmer over medium low heat.
- Partially cover and simmer until they are fully tender, about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Stir often to prevent sticking and scorching.
- Season with salt and serve.