Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A deliciously creamy pasta dish that doesn't use any cream. The vegetable broth mixed with fresh pesto makes a very flavorful sauce. You can use real chicken but you sould try the Quorn stuff - it's really good.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon v for vegan butter substitute
- 2 tablespoons v for vegan butter substitute
- 2 tablespoons chopped spring onions
- 1 (12 ounce) package quorn pieces, chicken-style recipe tenders
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce, can use more to taste
- Place the vegetable broth into a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta, and boil over medium-low heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain pasta, and reserve broth.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in half the spring onions; cook and stir until the onions begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes, then add the vegetarian chicken-style pieces. Cook until vegetarian pieces are browned, about 3 minutes per side, then stir in remaining onion and green peas. Pour 1/2 cup of reserved vegetable broth into the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, cook for 1 to 2 minutes to cook the peas, and stir in the pasta and pesto sauce. Mix in an additional 1/2 cup of broth to form a creamy sauce.
- COOK'S NOTE:.
- To make homemade pesto sauce, combine 3 cups chopped fresh basil, 1/2 cup baby spinach, 5 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 cup of pine nuts, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese in a blender or food processor. Slowly add 1/2 cup olive oil while blending. Continue blending until desired consistency is reached; add fresh ground black pepper to taste.