1/4 Photos of Brotchen -Traditional German Bread Rolls
3 hrs 20 mins
Um Safia's Note:
When I was living & working in Germany, I would go out every morning for breakfast, & every morning I would eat these little babies! This is a traditional recipe for Brotchen. If you like light, fluffy bread rolls DON'T try these! Brotchen are crusty on the outside but are chewy & quite dense on the inside.........
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let sit until creamy; about 10 minutes.
- 2Mix in shortening, salt and 3 cups of the flour. Beat with dough whisk or heavy spoon for 2 minutes. Fold in egg whites. Gradually add flour 1/4 cup at a time, until dough forms a mass and begins to pull away from bowl.
- 3Turn onto a floured surface. Knead, adding more flour as necessary, for 8 to 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic with bubbles.
- 4Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Deflate the dough, form into a round and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and form into oval rolls about 3 1/2 inches long. Place on lightly greased baking sheets, cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- 6Place an empty baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg white with the 2 tablespoons of milk to make the egg wash. Lightly brush the risen rolls with the egg wash. Place 1 cup of ice cubes on the hot baking sheet in the oven and immediately place the rolls in the oven.
- 7Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and cool.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brotchen -Traditional German Bread Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1686 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.9
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 173.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g