1/5 Photos of Brotchen (German Rolls)
2 hrs 15 mins
L. Duch's Note:
If you like rolls with a tough crust, this is your roll. These are exactly like the rolls I ate when I lived in Germany. My brother found this recipe and had me test it out. Turns out really yummy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Pour 2 1/2 cups flour into a large bowl and form a well in the center.
- 3In a separate container, mix yeast, sugar, and two tablespoons water (water comes from the 1 cup above).
- 4Pour yeast mixture into the well but do not mix with the flour at this time.
- 5Cover bowl with a cloth and set it in a warm place for 15 minutes to rise.
- 6Add remaining water and oil and beat until mixed. Add SALT.
- 7Turn dough out onto counter and knead until smooth. Adding remaining 1/2 cup flour as needed.
- 8Put dough in bowl, cover and let rise until double in size. (about 30-40 minutes).
- 9Punch down and divide dough into 12 parts.
- 10Shape into oval rolls and place 3" apart on greased and floured cookie sheet.
- 11Cover and let rise until double in size.
- 12Beat egg white and 1 tsp water with a fork until frothy and brush onto rolls.
- 13Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 14The time is an estimate, depending on how fast your dough rises.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brotchen (German Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.6
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 199.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g