This traditional soup used to be made with leak and oatmeal and has been served in Ireland for generations. Most cooks now prefer to combine leeks with potatoes, however, to make this perennial favorite. This recipe is also called Brotchan Roy meaning "A broth fit for a king". The word "roy" is derived from Ri - the Irish word for King. Savory hot biscuits are a fine accompaniment for soup. Add the herb seasoning of your choice to your biscuit mix before adding the liquid.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped large
- 1 lb leek, washed and sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery, sliced
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock or broth, one-half cup of the milk, the bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf, and let the soup cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor in batches and process until smooth.
- Heat the puree in the saucepan over medium heat and stir in the remaining 2 cups milk.
- Heat through, ladle the soup into bowls, and swirl in a tablespoon of half-and-half into each serving.
- Sprinkle with the chives.
I thought I had already reviewed this! Sorry it took me so long. This potato soup was delicious. Really enjoyed the leeks, onion and celery. I made 1/3 of the recipe, and found myself wishing that I had made a full batch! Thanks for sharing. Made for Rookie Tag game.
Delicious, healthy (cut down on the butter), easy and very tasty - great soup! I used homemade turkey stock instead of chicken but that's the only replacement. I even really liked it before adding the last 2 cups of milk! Made for Went To The Market tag game. Thanks Annacia! :)
I made half the recipe, but two of us polished off the pot. I used evaporated milk instead of plain milk, so did not bother with the half and half, but did add a dollop of sour cream as a garnish. No celery, so used some celery flakes. A really nice soup, and an added bonus is that is uses pantry ingredients.