1/2 Photos of Brotchan Foltchep - Potato & Leek Soup
1 hr 15 mins
This traditional soup used to be made with leak and oatmeal and has been served in Ireland for generations. Most cooks now prefer to combine leeks with potatoes, however, to make this perennial favorite. This recipe is also called Brotchan Roy meaning "A broth fit for a king". The word "roy" is derived from Ri - the Irish word for King. Savory hot biscuits are a fine accompaniment for soup. Add the herb seasoning of your choice to your biscuit mix before adding the liquid.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped large
- 1 lb leek, washed and sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery, sliced
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- white pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 2Add the vegetables, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Add the stock or broth, one-half cup of the milk, the bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 4Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 5Discard the bay leaf, and let the soup cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 6Transfer to a blender or food processor in batches and process until smooth.
- 7Heat the puree in the saucepan over medium heat and stir in the remaining 2 cups milk.
- 8Heat through, ladle the soup into bowls, and swirl in a tablespoon of half-and-half into each serving.
- 9Sprinkle with the chives.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brotchan Foltchep - Potato & Leek Soup
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.7
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 728.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 8.8 g