Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A great halloween cake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 apples
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup water, hot
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coat an 8x12x2-inch pan with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Arrange apples slices over the sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle nuts over all.
- Place pan on the bottom shelf of oven and let apples cook while mixing the other ingredients.
- Cream together butter and sugar, add egg and molasses and mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients and stir in to creamed mixture.
- Put in hot water and mix to a thin batter.
- Remove pan from oven and pour batter over apples.
- Return to oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and loosen cake around edges.
- Let stand five minutes and turn out on to serving tray.