Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
A friend of ours, Brooks, first made these beans for us and are absolutely delicious. I made a few minor changes, but the taste is still wonderful. They grace our table on a regular basis. Thanks Brooksie!
- 1 (53 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1⁄8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In large dutch oven fry bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon, crumble and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic to bacon drippings and cook until soft about 30 minutes (do not drain).
- In separate skillet brown ground meat until no longer pink then drain off any excess grease.
- Add cooked ground meat to bacon drippings mixture and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, cover and cook on low on top of stove for about 1 hour.