Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
An old friend of mine threw this together one night for a cookout and I picked his brain as to how he did it. This was his "guesstimate" which I have since made and it was just as good. A real crowd pleaser. He cooked it in a disposable aluminum casserole on the top rack of his gas grill which added a really great flavor. I just did it in the oven.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup grits
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal mix
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups silver queen creamed corn (1 frozen tube)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cubed monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups milk (or enough to make it resemble a thick batter)
- Melt butter in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a pyrex (13x9) and cook in a 350 degree oven for about an hour, or until set.