Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I woke up this morning dreaming about trout and fiddleheads. I swear I could smell the brookies cooking. Fact: It's January, 20 below and snowing. Dream: May...Fish along an icy brook for a few 8 inch trout and then fill a creel with fiddleheads. Head home... cold, wet and hungry to cook up this "rite of spring" meal. Four more months.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a large sauce pan.
- Add fiddleheads, cover and set on stove to cook on medium for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bacon strips in a large cold cast iron fry pan.
- On medium-low heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Remove bacon grease from pan and save.
- Clean cast iron pan thoroughly.
- Set aside.
- Place flour in a bag.
- Place washed trout in the bag 2 at a time and shake until fish are coated in flour.
- Place cast iron fry pan over medium heat.
- Add bacon grease and heat for 30 sec.
- Add trout and cook one one side for three minutes until crisp.
- Turn and cook other side for three minutes.
- Drain fiddleheads.
- Place trout on a hot platter and serve.
- Serve fiddleheads with the choices of butter, cider vinegar and crumbled bacon on the side.
- A great meal with a loaf of peasant bread and a pot of hot tea.