Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
After a decade of trial and error trying to perfect the best possible jerky recipe, I think this comes pretty close. It uses extra lean ground beef (90% or better) and although it looks complex to make, it's really not that difficult.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (at least 90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon meat tenderizer
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons non iodized salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (I use "Accent")
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- In a small container, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate small container, combine the hot sauce with the liquid smoke.
- In a large bowl, alternate mixing in the dry ingredients and the hot sauce with the ground beef.
- Using your hands, mix completely and thoroughly until well combined.
- Load up the jerky gun with this mix and extrude onto the dehydrator racks.
- Mix together the basting liquids, then brush it on top of the strips on the racks.
- Dry according to dehydrator instructions, basting once on the other side after turning the strips.