Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Southwestern sauce well-suited for barbecue beef. We made a batch today for some smoked brisket.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Cook onions in butter until soft.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add all other ingredients except cayenne
- Cook for about 30 minutes until consistency desired is reached.
- If desired, blend sauce for ease in pouring.
- Southwestern sauces are often a little thinner than Kansas City style sauces.
YES! My fiance licked the plate! Only change was I used 3 cloves of garlic...because we love garlic. What a brilliant blend of flavors, and the amounts were just right. Thanks, Red!