Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from GULLAH HOME COOKING THE DAUFUSKIE WAY by SALLIE ANN ROBINSON. This recipe is just okra and tomatoes with crabs added. It can be served with rice,cornbread or grits, those of you who know grits. But remember you will need your God-given tools for eating the crabs. This is great at fish fries, instead of catfish stew, use this recipe.
- Pour boiling water over crabs to stun them to prevent them pinching you.
- "Debark" and clean them (remove the top shell and gills), break in half.
- If you wish, remove legs and back fins.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet, add crab pieces, onons, water, and if using, stewed tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add okra and boil gently, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes- or simmer until the okra is tender but the crab is still firm.