Recipe by Stephiesrocks
When I was REALLY short on money and time, I threw this together. It turned out surprisingly good and I have done about a billion variations since. You can customize it for your taste and/ or what you have on hand.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups liquid (either chicken broth or water OR 1 can enchilada sauce OR 1 package taco seasoning with 2 c water)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 cup cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup olive, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- cook turkey meat half way. drain.put into large baking dish.
- in meat pan, sauce onions, garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper until slightly browned. add to meat.
- in baking dish, add beans, rice, cumin.
- add enchilada sauce. If you are using taco seasoning or chicken broth for the liquid, it is important to have a 2:1 ratio of liquid to rice. DO NOT USE enchilada sauce AND full 2 cups water. If you only have 1/2 c enchilada sauce, make up the difference with water- that works fine too.
- cover with foil.
- bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- last 5 minutes, add cheese and olives to top, uncover and put back in the oven.
- I would like to hear how you modified to fit your needs!