Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm such a fan of 'sammiches.' This one is really easy and my uber-picky roommmate even said it smelled good. I made it on regular bread 'cause there wasn't anything else on hand, but it would be great on a baguette.
- Crumble or slice the tofu thinly (think sandwich), roll or coat in za'atar evenly.
- Lay both slices of bread on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle one slice of bread with some of the cheese, lay tofu over it, sprinkle with more cheese.
- Place zucchini slices on other piece of bread, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Salt and pepper if desired.
- Broil on 300 for 10 minutes or so, or until cheese melts and zucchini looks browned.
- Put slices together, cut diagonally (sammiches taste best when cut diagonally), and enjoy!
A very good effort! I made th mistake of using sourdough bread for the sandwiches and the sour taste of the bread coupled with the sour taste of the sumak was overpowering. So next time, I used a plain wheat bread and it was much better. I drizzled a bit of grapeseed oil on the bread slices before broiling. Oh, broiling at 300 degrees didn't make sense to me. Broiling is at much higher temperature...?? For the mozarella I used the more favored imported parmesan. This will be a fun sandwich recipe to play around with. Thanks for sharing it. cg