Broiled Winter Squash, Carrots and Onions
- Preheat your broiler and set the oven rack to the highest level (so that your veggies are 2-3 inches from the heating element).
- Peel, deseed, and cut butternut squash. I prefer to cut it into about 1/3" matchstick, but dicing works well also.
- Peel onions, cut in half and then into 1/4-1/3" strips.
- Scrub carrots and cut into large matchsticks or 1/4" coins.
- Put the veggies into a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with all spices and toss again to even distribute spices.
- Spread veggies in a single layer on a large jelly roll pan. You may have to do more than one batch.
- Broil veggies for 4-5 minutes, or until the first side gets medium brown. Stir or flip veggies and put in for another 3-4 mins or until the outsides are crispy and the insides are tender. Repeat with any remaining veggies. Serve as soon as possible, though I was able to put the first batch in a warmed casserole and keep until the second batch was done without comprimising the texture.