Recipe by JessHinkson
One of my DH's faves! Best with fresh ingredients, it's a tasty accompaniment to meat, poultry, or fish. Adapted from Corinne Netzer's 101 Low Fat Recipes.
- 4 tomatoes (ripe but firm)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 8 basil leaves, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler (this is the time to use that toaster oven!).
- Cut tomatoes in half, turn upside down and squeeze gently to release some membrane, making room for the yummy topping.
- Spray shallow baking dish with olive oil or Pam, and arrange tomato halves cut-side up.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with capers.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining ingredients and coat tops of tomatoes with mixture. Broil for 5+ minutes, until topping is golden. Be careful not to overcook as tomatoes are much tastier with a little firmness left to the flesh.
- Serve immediately or tomatoes will get soggy.