1 hr 15 mins
A delicious soup using up lots of tomatoes from the garden. Can be served cold in summer (see instruction 7 for serving) or hot in winter (using Italian-tinned tomatoes).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 ripe roma tomatoes or 1 (35 ounce) can peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Plunge fresh tomatoes in boiling water for a few seconds.
- 3With a small, sharp knife, remove skin.
- 4Cut into large dice and set aside.
- 5Melt butter with oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 6Add onion and pepper and saute until transparent, stirring occasionally, but do not brown.
- 7Add tomatoes, herbs and tomato paste and simmer, uncovered, slowly for 10-12 minutes, stirring often.
- 8Blend flour with ¼ cup of chicken stock to form a thick paste.
- 9Add to remaining stock along with brown sugar (if desired) and stir into simmering tomato mixture.
- 10Bring to a boil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Reduce heat to an even simmer and continue cooking uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 12Stir often to prevent burning.
- 13Turn off heat and cool soup slightly.
- 14Preheat the broiler.
- 15Transfer cooled soup to blender in batches and puree.
- 16When the entire mixture has been pureed, return to saucepan.
- 17Heat but do not boil.
- 18Turn off heat.
- 19Cover soup to keep warm.
- 20Whip cream until stiff and gradually fold in all but 3 T of the cheese.
- 21Transfer soup to an ovenproof casserole.
- 22Top with dollops of the whipped cream.
- 23Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- 24Broil 6 inches away from flame for 30-60 seconds.
- 25Do not burn.
- 26Serve right away.
- 27This is also good as a cold soup do not broil the soup, just top with the whipped cream and cheese, or yogurt or sour cream and dill.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broiled Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.9
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 110.8 mg
- Sodium 644.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 13.0 g