Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Equally good as a side dish or a light lunch. Can be lightened up by using low-fat mozzarella cheese if desired. Note: cooking time does not include 30 minutes refrigeration time.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 slices
- 4 large tomatoes, cored
- Stir together oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper flakes in medium-size shallow dish.
- Add cheese slices, overlapping if necessary, and turning to coat completely with oil.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Make 3 equally spaced vertical cuts in each tomato, starting from bottom and not cutting all the way through tomato (so tomato can "fan").
- Insert a cheese slice into each cut.
- Place tomatoes in shallow flameproof baking dish.
- Brush with any remaining marinade.
- Broil tomatoes 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted and lightly browned and tomatoes are heated through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour any pan juices over tomatoes before serving.
Great recipe & it matched well with Pesto Onion Pasta (#245653) & Chicken Avocado (#396724). I cook alot but haven't done very many versions of broiled tomatoes. I really enjoyed this one. I had some jalapeno pepper cheese so I sub'd some in but didn't find I used the amount indicated, I used about 1/2 called for. I added a dash of jerk/essence spice & increased the garlic abit. Loved this recipe and will definately do it again, thanks for sharing.