Recipe by Iron Chef Ghetto
This is an original recipe i've come up with - I love Asian cooking, and this is probably one of my personal best.
- 1 lb mochi rice cake
- 1⁄2 cup san-j tamari (Soy Sauce) or 1⁄2 cup other brand tamari (Soy Sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (to taste)
- sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn your oven to the highest broil setting.
- Oil a small cookie sheet, or something similar, with the sesame oil.
- Place the mochi on the oiled pan, and proceed to dribble the sesame oil onto that as well, and distribute it around until it's evenly coated. Set aside.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients, and bring to a boil, adding water in small (1oz) amounts to keep the resulting sauce in liquid form. While you are waiting for this to come to a boil, place the sesame oil-coated mochi under the broiler.
- When the mochi starts to become crisp, glaze it slightly with the sauce, flipping it, until the sauce in the pan becomes caramelized.
- At the very end, remove your broiled mochi, and plate it by setting it down on the plate, and then adding enough sauce to cover (and surround it slightly).
- Make sure to work quickly! Not a step but just advice. The glaze will become a thick and sweet shell on the mochi, but if you do not hurry, it will become a lump of caramelized sugary stuff in the pan!