- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 small onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 ancho chilies or 1 dried red chili pepper, deseeded and trimmed
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 (5 1/2 ounce) salmon fillets, skinless and boneless
- cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Blacken the whole garlic and onion slices on all sides in a large, dry non-stick frying pan.
- Remove, cool briefly, then peel the garlic cloves.
- Soak the ancho chili in boiling water for 15 mins, drain then place in a blender with the sugar, vinegar, garlic, onion and some salt and pepper. Whizz to a smooth sauce.
- Heat the broiler. Brush each salmon fillet liberally with the sauce and save any remaining. Broil for 8 minutes
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with the remaining sauce.