Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
I have had this recipe since 2001 - clipped from Bon Appetit. Always wanted to make it, etc., etc. My folks came for a visit and I wanted to make them a memorable brunch. Oh my gosh! This was so delicious. Bon Appetit suggested serving this with Roasted Asparagus with Goat Cheese and Bacon & Chive-Corn Muffins. Made the whole thing and was thrilled with the beauty of the plate and the great blend of flavors! I have posted the the Asparagus and Muffin recipes.
Top Review by sugarpea
Tested this out on Dh in anticipation of a family brunch (his). He loved it - ate his and wanted mine. I grilled the portabellos and used butter spray rather than butter. Next time I'll use basil rather than rosemary - just a personal preference.
- 6 portabella mushrooms, 4 -5 inch-diameter
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, i used less
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler (or BBQ).
- Line large baking sheet with foil.
- Remove and discard mushroom stems. Scoop out and discard tough inside centers where mushroom stems were attached.
- Brush both sides of mushrooms generously with the olive oil.
- Place mushrooms, dark gill side up, on prepared baking sheet. (or directly on the bbq grill.).
- Sprinkle mushrooms with minced garlic, then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Broil mushrooms about 5 inches from heat source until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Turn over; broil until tender when pierced with knife, about 7 minutes longer. (Depending on the bbq grill, timing should be about the same as the broiler - just watch carefully.).
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, 2 T. parmesan cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper in large bowl until blended.
- Melt 5 T. butter (I used about 3) in large heavy skillet over med-low heat.
- Add eggs to skillet and stir gently in a circular motion with wooden spoon, releasing cooked eggs from bottom of skillet and allowing uncooked portion of eggs to flow underneath.
- Cook until eggs are set but still soft, about 4 minutes total.
- Dot with scant 1 T. butter.
- Arrange portobello mushrooms, gill side up, on plates.
- Divide eggs equally on top of mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan; serve.