Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Oysters were, and are, not only stuffed in loaves, but served, more simply, on top of toast. The name of at least one of the oysters-on-toast dishes is “angels on horseback.” From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 12 large oysters
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and buttered (hot)
- parsley (for garnish)
- lemon wedge (for garnish)
- Wipe oysters dry, dip and butter seasoned with salt and cayenne.
- Roll in crumbs and broil under moderate heat until golden brown.
- Arrange on toast, pour remaining butter over the top, and garnish.