Recipe by Donna Matthews
This is our new favorite for Easter. It came from an article in the Costco Connections (March 2010) when they did an interview with Ethan Becker, The Joy of Cooking Lamb. Stated time does not include marinating in the refrigerator for 1 to 24 hours.
- 4 -5 lbs leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the lamb to an even thickness of 2-2 1/2 inches and pat dry.
- For paste, combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
- Coat the entire surface of the lamb with the paste.
- At this point, the lamb may be placed in a zip bag or on a baking sheet and covered.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to marinate from 1 to 24 hours.
- Position a broiler pan 4 to 5 inches away from the heating element and preheat the broiler and broiler pan or prepare a medium hot grill fire.
- Place the lamb, fat side down, on the broiler pan grill rack.
- Cook, turning once, until well seared but still juicy and pink on the inside, about 12 minutes on each side. (Cook a few minutes more on each side for medium.).
- Remove lamb from the oven or grill and let stand for 6-8 minutes, loosly covered with aluminum foil.
- Cut lamb into 1/2 inch slices.