Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Worth the little bit of work that goes into it. Make sure you put plenty of the sauce on the plate when you serve it, it really adds to the sandwich.
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices turkey
- 4 slices ham
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons water
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup provolone cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon parsley (optional)
- Assemble 2 sandwiches, each filled with 2 slices of the turkey and 2 slices of the ham.
- Beat eggs with water in a shallow bowl.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and butter.
- Dip both sides of one sandwich in eggs.
- Fry both sides of the sandwich until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches in a baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine cheese, milk, mayonnaise, and nutmeg.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Pour over sandwiches.
- Broil 6 inches from heat for 4-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon slices.
This was okay. The only think I have to compare it to is the Bennigans Monte Cristo, and while it had sort of the same taste, it was not the same texture. It was kinda soft and bland. I did happen to have some Raspberry Preserves so I ate it with that and that helped a lot, but, I don't think I would make again. - Also, I double the recipe and it was more than enough cheese sauce, so perhaps you dont have to exactly double the sauce.
We enjoyed this very much! The sauce was fantastic, and sandwich had the perfect amount of meat! It was also very filling! Thank you so much for posting your recipe, we will have this one again :)
My husband went crazy for this. And I can assure you that does not happen very often. I would absolutely make this again.