Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I don't always do these the same way so have added options I have used, either way they are delicious, the sherry sauce is a wonderful flavour, a touch of cayenne is nice too.
- 8 lamb chops
- smashed garlic (enough to rub on all lamb chops)
- salt and pepper
- onion (enough to cover lamb chops, cut in half rings)
Sherry sauce (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, cooked crisp and broken
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons sherry wine
- Rub lamb chops with garlic and season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Melt butter in a fry pan Saute onions in butter until caramelized.
- Broil chops while sauteing onions, about 3 inches from heat for about 4-8 minutes each side or until done to your liking, place on platter and cover with sautéed onions.
- Serve at once with sherry sauce.
- If you prefer, you can fry the chops in the onion pan, put onions aside and keep warm, after frying chops, put under onions on platter and keep warm while deglazing pan with sherry, sprinkle pan with a little flour, salt and pepper,add sherry and whisk up bits, boil to thicken and pour over chops and onions.
- ---------Sherry sauce-------------.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, bacon bits, and butter in the top of a double boiler over direct heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 1/2 tablespoons flour and 1/4 cup tomato juice, whisk slowly into the simmering sauce; season with salt and pepper and simmer until thickened.
- Place pot over hot water and add sherry, bring to simmer, just until hot.
Russell cooked these for us tonight and they were more than a 5! He pan fried the chops and onions then made the "optional" sauce in that same pan. Don't like lamb??? We reckon you could use the sauce over steak or sausages, because it's the sauce we gave the 5 stars. Don't forget the pinch of cayenne too. I'll be making this at work over sausages tomorrow. UPDATE: I made the sauce (x4) again today, at work, and poured it over (5kg) sausages. They were extremely popular, a sell out in fact!
This looked great, but I wanted a bit more than onions on it, so I combined this recipe with "Korabiak" (8260), which has mushrooms. So basically, I made lamb chops with caramelized onions and mushrooms, and the sherry sauce. It was great!
I didn;t make the sauce and they were still super good. After cooking the onions & chops I deglazed the pan with sherry (6 tbsp), reduced it by half and then returned the onions & chops to the pan, just to heat through I didn't want to over cook them (still pink inside)- Loved them. I poured the unthickened sherry over my potatoes and fork mashed them - excellent, served with steamed carrots & snow peas. Thanks Derf for a lovely dinner.