Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden. “It is generally recommended that the lamb used for Keftas should contain about ten percent fat, to bind the ingredients together and keep them moist during cooking. Leaner meat can be used, however, if you do not mind crumblier, slightly drier Keftas.”
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lamb, freshly ground
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- salt, mixed with
- cumin, to serve
- Mix all the ingredients together then knead well to make a homogenous paste.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the broiler or barbecue.
- Form meat mixture into small cakes about 2-inches in diameter and 3/4 –inch thick.
- Broil or barbecue for a few minutes each side.
- Serve sprinkled with a mixture of salt and cumin.