Recipe by Dreamgoddess
When I saw this recipe in the April 2006 issue of Southern Living, I simply had to try it. It looks like you spent a lot of time preparing it, but the recipe actually cooks up very quickly. Serve with potatoes or rice and a salad...voila, dinner is ready in about 40 minutes.
Top Review by IngridH
Wonderful spice rub! I was cooking for one, so I mixed up a half recipe of the spice mix and used it to season a single bone in chicken breast, then cooked as directed. The meat was flavorful and juicy, the skin was crispy- just perfect! I used the butter and lemonjuice to saute some cooked gnocchi and baby squash, making a complete meal. Definately will make this again. Edit- I made this again using halved cornish game hens. I covered the hens with the spice rub 24 hours ahead, then before broiling, I basted with a little of the lemon-butter sauce. The remaining sauce I drizzled over the finished chicken on the serving platter. This was elegant enough for company, but really simple to do.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, oregano, garlic powder, lemon pepper, paprika and red pepper.
- Cover a roasting pan with foil and place a rack in it; lightly spray the rack with cooking spray.
- Skin side down, place the chicken on the rack.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 2 t of the seasoning mixture.
- Making sure your oven rack is about 7-8" from the heat, broil the chicken until golden brown (about 12-15 minutes).
- Turn the chicken pieces over and sprinkle with the remaining spice mixture.
- Broil about 8-10 more minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Lemon Butter Sauce: Combine the melted butter, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Mix well and add in the parsley.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce over each piece of chicken when served.