Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
During the summer months when fresh berries and fresh halibut are available, try using blackberries or blueberries in place of the cranberries, adding sugar only if necessary. Boiled or steamed red new potatoes are an ideal accompaniment. From simplyseafood.com.
- 4 halibut steaks, 1-inch thick (6 to 8 oz each)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 1 ripe but firm pear, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- Rinse the halibut steaks in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and cook over moderately-high heat until the onions are soft and very lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cranberries, pear, sugar and water and stir to mix.
- Heat the berries over moderate heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 15 minutes; do not boil or the berries will cook to a puree.
- Stir in the cloves, salt and pepper and taste the compote for seasoning, adding more sugar if the cranberries are especially tart.
- Preheat the broiler, set the oven rack about 4 inches from the heat and lightly oil the broiler pan rack.
- Season each side of the halibut steaks with salt and pepper and set the steaks on the broiler rack.
- Broil the halibut for 3 to 4 minutes, turn the steaks and broil on the other side until the fish is just opaque through, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, reheat the compote and stir in the walnut pieces.
- Transfer the halibut steaks to individual dinner plates, spoon the cranberry compote partly over and alongside the halibut and serve immediately.
- Garnish with pear wedges or chopped walnuts if you like.
This would be a smashing success at a dinner party - so healthy and pretty! The cranberry-pear compote was delicious, and the walnuts gave a really nice 'crunch' to add another texture. Served kale chips alongside. Dinner was great.