I love grapefruit and this makes a yummy breakfast for me. This is from Fine Cooking.
Make and share this Broiled Grapefruit With Honey, Vanilla & Cardamom recipe from Food.com.
- Position an oven rack about 4 inches below the broiler and heat the broiler on high.
- With a serrated knife, cut the grapefruit in even halves.
- Using a small paring knife or a grapefruit knife, cut each section away from the surrounding membrane.
- Set the grapefruit halves in a shallow broiler-safe pan (such as an enameled baking dish or a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet).
- If necessary, trim a thin slice off their bottoms so they sit level.
- In small bowl, stir together the honey and the vanilla extract.
- Drizzle the honey mixture over the grapefruit halves.
- Dust each with a bit of cardamom.
- Broil until bubbling and lightly browned in spots, 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Delicious. I love grapefruit and cardamom, so I had to give this a try. I've tried both honey and sugar. I like it a little better with sugar, but I'm not a huge fan of honey. Thanks for the healthy breakfast, snack, dessert idea.
I decided I need to eat more grapefruit, so I tried this for breakfast today and really enjoyed it. I stirred the cardamom into the honey/vanilla mixture instead of sprinkling it on top. My grapefruit was very tart, so the honey was a nice contrast with it. Very tasty and I will be sure to have this again soon. Thanks for posting!
I too love grapefruit AND cardamom so when I saw this recipe in the photo forum knew I had to try it as was not disappointed. I used the ingrediants exactly as listed but did change the process a little bit. I wanted to make sure the flavors where all through it so sectioned the grapefruit and dumped the pieces into a bowl where I could stir everything together, then returned to the grapefruit shell and broiled as directed. Very good and I'll be making again - though think I'll cut down a little on the honey as I really love the tartness of grapefruit and it was a little sweet for me. Thanks so much for posting.