Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
this was in intermezzo this month, and is posted by request. i haven't tried this one yet.
- 7 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 7 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt, pepper
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 3⁄4 cup sake
- 1 1⁄3 cups mirin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- make tare sauce: add all ingredients to a saucepan, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, cool to room temperature for the dumplings: chop chicken to a paste in a processor, or by hand.
- transfer to a bowl and add salt& pepper, squeezing the mixture with your hands.
- add scallions, ginger, egg white, sesame oil, and mix grease a broiler pan, and your hands.
- form into 12 balls, making a depression with your thumbs.
- add oil to a skillet and cook the dumplings 1-2 minutes to brown the outsides.
- remove and drain on a paper towel heat broiler to high.
- thread 2 dumplings on each skewer, broil about 2-4 minutes, turning once.
- put a few spoonfuls of tare sauce into a small dish dip the dumplings into the tare sauce and return to broiler for 2 minutes, until dry.
- repeat one more time.
- serve with sauce on the side.
These chicken dumplings were scrumptious. My boyfriend said Yummo! I was surprised at the quantity of sesame oil, but it worked very well with the ginger. The only reason that I'm giving it 4 stars instead of five is because I had a little trouble with the tare sauce. First off, there was about five times the amount of sauce than I needed. I thought that the sauce would reduce more, but it remained very thin. I'd recommend making only about 1/4-1/2 of the sauce. Its flavor was wonderful though! Thanks chia!