Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I am a big fan of brining my poultry for a few hours before cooking to ensure a moist bird. If you choose to do the same, there are a number of good brine recipes on this site. The prep time includes marinating time but not brine time.
- 2 Cornish hens
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 green onions, minced
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- Rinse and pat dry game hens.
- Cut into halves from the center of the back through the breast.
- Remove excess fat.
- Press to flatten.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a zip-lock plastic bag.
- Put birds in bag. Press the excess air out before closing the bag.
- Marinate up to 24 hours in the refigerator. The longer the better.
- Heat broiler.
- Remove hens from marinade. Put marinade in a small sauce pan and simmer a minimum of 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Place hens on a broiler pan bone-side up. Broil 6 to 7 inches from the heat for 10 mintes.
- Turn and broil 10 minutes more.
- Remove birds from under the broiler.
- Turn off broiler and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour remaining marinade over skin side of hens. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While hens are baking combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Heat slightly.
- Serve with the hens.