1/1 Photo of Broiled Flank Steak
24 hrs 15 mins
Adapted from a very old issue of Food & Wine magazine. I haven't made this one in ages - but I recall that it was very good and really not as difficult as it may appear. Use a good, strong, dry red wine in this. I like to use Shiraz, but any hearty drinkable red will do fine. This marinates in a tomato and wine mixture, making it very tender. NOTE: Try to plan the timing so that the marinade has started cooking a few minutes before you pop the meat into the oven, so that they finish cooking at roughly the same time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed of all visable fat
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (such as Shiraz)
- 1 large onion, halved,thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1Combine tomatoes, broth, wine, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, thyme, and bay leaf in a large resealable plastic bag.
- 2Poke a few holes into the meat and place into the marinade bag, seal, toss to coat, and let marinade in the fridge overnight.
- 3When you are ready to start cooking,set the meat bag on your counter and let sit at room temperature 15 minutes, then begin preparing your pan etc.
- 4Prepare your broiler pan by lining bottom pan with foil and brushing the top with some oil (or spray with nonstick cooking spray).
- 5Set meat on prepared pan and leave on the counter while you preheat the broiler to the BROIL setting (usually around 500 F)- this will take about 10-15 minutes.
- 6For the Sauce: Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a light boil over medium-high heat,and let the liquid reduce until it measures 1 cup (takes a while- about 15 minutes).
- 7Once marinade has reduced, pour it through a strainer set over a bowl (discard the chunky parts)-then pour the liquid back into the pan and set aside, off of the heat, until the meat is ready.
- 8For the Meat: Once you have started reducing the marinade for a few minutes, begin the meat.
- 9Set the meat pan under the broiler and cook 6-7 inches from the heat, 5-7 minutes, turn over and cook another 5 minutes for rare, or another 5 minutes for medium, even longer for well.
- 10When meat has cooked to your liking, remove to a carving board and cover with foil, let sit while you finish the sauce.
- 11Once meat is under the foil,heat the marinade again,but don't let it boil.
- 12Stir in butter until it melts and season to taste with salt and pepper (I like seasoned salt).
- 13Slice the meat against the grain and drizzle with some of the sauce.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broiled Flank Steak
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.8
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 87.8 mg
- Sodium 389.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 42.0 g