1/2 Photos of Broiled Fishcakes With Ginger and Cilantro
Chef Kate's Note:
Very tasty and relatively low fat fishcakes via Mark Bittman. These are a tad spicy and are great served on greens or a bun with a mayonaise of your choice, sliced onion and cucumber and a fruit salsa. They can be made in a counter top grill like a George Forman, adjusting cooking time for the fact that both sides are cooked at once.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/2 lb) baking potato
- 1 1/2 lbs cod fish fillets (or other white fish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced (plus more for garnish)
- 1 small hot red chili pepper, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- 1Boil the potato in salted water until tender but not mushy (or bake the potato until tender but not overly soft).
- 2Place the fish in a skillet which can be covered and cover the fish with salted water.
- 3Bring to a boil over high heat, turn off the heat, cover the fish and let it poach in the water for ten minutes.
- 4Transfer the fish via slotted spoon to a bowl.
- 5Peel the cooked potato and add it to the fish and mash the two together.
- 6Preheat the broiler.
- 7Add the seasonings and salt and pepper to taste to the fish/potato mixture and work the mixture with your hands until well blended.
- 8Shape into 8 equal burger-shaped patties.
- 9Brush the patties on both sides with the oil and place on a non-stick or foil covererd cookie sheet.
- 10Broil about 4" from heat source until nicely browned on top--about 3 minutes; then turn and brown the other side.
- 11Serve hot garnished with lime wedges and additional cilantro.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broiled Fishcakes With Ginger and Cilantro
Serving Size: 1 (1053 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.5
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 48.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 15.8 g