This is the way I grill large fishes, I wrapped it with aluminum foil so that the liquids will not spill out, it will taste better since the spices will absorb on it.
- 1 (1 kg) whole fish, cleaned, intestines removed
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tied like a knot
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 onions, chopped thinly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- salt and pepper
- Make a some deep slits on both sides of the fish. Sprinkle and rub both sides with the turmeric powder.
- Combine half of the onions with grated ginger, salt and pepper and fill each slit of the fish with the mixture.
- Insert the lemon grass inside the fish (the cavity that contains the intestines which you removed).
- Wrap the fish with aluminum foil then grill over low-medium heat. Grill each side for 8-10 minutes.
- While grilling, mix the remaining onions, olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce, pepper, garlic and ginger powder.
- Unwrap the fish, brush the sauce mixture on it then grill again over low heat, 2 minutes each side.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.