Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Altered recipe from International Vegetarian cookbook.
- 4 slices feta cheese, thick slices (about 1/2-inch thick at least)
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 small yellow onions or 1⁄2 small red onion, cut into rings
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced (8 slices total)
- 4 tablespoons warmed olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped (NOT dried basil)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to BROIL.
- Place the feta slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and broil on both sides until lightly browned.
- On 4 salad plates divide and arrange the lettuce. Garnish with the onion rings.
- Place a slice of the broiled feta cheese on top of each lettuce-onion mound. Place 2 tomato slices on each mound.
- Pour the warmed olive oil over the mixture and top with the capers and basil. Sprinkle each serving with black pepper. Garnish a lemon wedge on top of each serving.
Warm, gooey, salty goodness. :) I loved the contrast of flavors and textures in this salad. It was an incredible lunch with an impressive presentation that was actually super easy to prepare.