Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
A nice side dish when fresh tomatoes abound.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 6 slices toast, hot and buttered with
- Cut tomatoes in half.
- Place in a shallow pan, cut side up.
- Dribble 1 teaspoon lemon juice over each half.
- Sprinkle halves with salt and pepper.
- Dot each half with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
- Place under preheated broiler for 5 minutes.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in cheese, breadcrumbs and basil; sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Return to the broiler.
- Brown lightly, about 2 minutes, Serve on toast rounds.